Day 1

February 22

Day 2

February 23

Day 3

February 24

Day 4

February 25

The Flight

The Flight


The Flight

CLARK AIR FORCE BASE ► The fugitives rested nearly eight hours before proceeding to Guam at 5:12 AM, Wednesday, aboard a USAF C-9 Nightingale Hospital aircraft which the Geneva Convention protects from forced landings. A second plane, bearing General Ver and other supporters, left at 5:22 AM. Their destination: Andersen Air Base, Guam, USA. Asiaweek 9 Mar

CLARK AIR FORCE BASE ► Shortly before they were to leave the base, the deposed President asked his American pilots if they can take him to his home province. The pilots retorted in a rather curt manner that their orders were to take him out of the Philippines. It was on the flight to Guam that the President had to be sedated, to stop him from insisting on flying to the north. Mr & Ms 21-27 Mar

CLARK AIR FORCE BASE ► The Americans provided two jet aircraft, capable of transporting 500 persons – a Boeing 707 and a B-747. The Marcos party was given security during the operation by US Marines.

Mr. Marcos begged to be taken to Laoag because, he said, he “wanted to spend one last night in Ilocos.” Arriving at Paoay’s lakeside Malacañang of the North, the former president’s mood shifted to aggression. He instructed his aides to organize an “Ilocano Army” to fight its way back to Metro Manila and “recover” the capital.

He rang up Deputy Premier and Minister of Local Governments Jose Roño and told him his plans. Roño, aghast, counselled him against a “countercoup.” He asserted, “Please spare our people a bloodbath!”

He then telephoned Minister of Trade and Industry Roberto Ongpin, insisting, “Bobby, I’d liketo make a last stand in Paoay!” Ongpin, equally taken aback, advised Mr. Marcos: “Think of the millions of Filipinos who are going to die if you start a civil war!”

He boarded his US Air Force plane at 9:15 AM Wednesday morning and finally departed with his family. Inquirer 28 Feb

CLARK AIR FORCE BASE ► The presidential party stayed at the base until 5:00 AM, Wednesday. During the night, there was a bitter exchange between Ferdinand and American officials. He demanded to be flown to his home in the Ilocos. They had orders from President Reagan and the joint chiefs of staff to fly him to America. At 4:00 AM, Ferdinand stopped arguing and the sleepy and sullen group began boarding jet transports for Guam and Hawaii. Dynasty pp. 419-420

© Angela-Stuart Santiago